Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day One: The Number Ten

We start off the sandwich reviews with one of the serious favorites at Lambrusco'z: 
The Reuben.


At Lambrusco'z To Go, like most delis, we have a menu full of suggestions for sandwiches. Today's sandwich is referred to as the Number Ten.


Lacking a description it simply has an ingredient list that reads as follows: "Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese, & Reuben Sauce Grilled on Rye." I think the description leaves a bit to be desired, so I figured I'd give it one of my own. "Juicy Corned Beef heated with Sauerkraut, topped with creamy Swiss then drizzled with Reuben Sauce served on a bed of delightfully crispy Rye bread." Just makes my mouth water typing it, and I've already eaten the sandwich!

The first bite is great, but hardly the best. I find myself thoroughly enjoying the sandwich about two bites in. The first bite is filled with crunch and sauce but the second bite is when you get a taste of that succulent corned beef and sauerkraut mixture! The corned beef is nice, has good flavor, and then the sauerkraut pops in with it's slightly sour note to highlight flavors you didn't know you were missing in the beef, then the super creamy Reuben sauce finishes the job with it's horse radish flavor, I'm not sure if the sauce has the genuine horse radish, or if it's the combination of flavors, but it left me wanting more! The Swiss mops up the rest of your work by holding the 'Kraut close to the meat and blending well with the sauce.

This sandwich was HUGE when I got it! I'll ask for an approximate measurement of the amount of meat and leave it in a note at the bottom of the post.

For the nay-sayers of 'Kraut and it's flavor, I just want to tell you that you've NEVER had sauerkraut like this before! It's mild but still tastes like sauerkraut, it loses all it's unpleasantness when combined with the corned beef and sauce, in my opinion, and that comes from someone who *HATES* Sauerkraut!

A very nice hearty sandwich, the Reuben has a warm home-vibe from it.

I personally give the Reuben, the number 10, a spot in my top 5 favorite foods. As a general score or ranking, the Reuben has earned it's 7.5 of 9.

                         Peace, Love, and GREAT Food,
                                                            -Andy
Deconstructed about half way through the second half of the sandwich. I think it looks amazing. No sarcasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment